- 1 (.25 ounce) package active dry yeast
- 3/4 cup and 2 tablespoons warm water (110 degrees F/45 degrees C)
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted and cooled
- 1/2 egg, beaten
- 1 cup and 2 tablespoons whole wheat flour
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Let stand until creamy, about 10 minutes.
- Mix sugar, salt, 1/4 cup melted butter, egg, and whole wheat flour into yeast mixture. Stir in all-purpose flour, 1/2 cup at a time, until dough pulls away from the sides of the bowl. Turn dough out onto a well floured surface, and knead until smooth and elastic, about 8 minutes. Lightly oil a large bowl, place dough in bowl, and turn to coat. Cover with a damp cloth, and let rise in a warm place until doubled in volume, about 1 hour.
- Punch down dough, cover, and let rise in warm place until doubled again, about 30 minutes.
- Grease 1 dozen muffin cups. Punch down dough. Make into equal balls and put into muffin cups. Brush tops with melted butter. Let rise uncovered in a warm place 40 minutes, or until doubled in bulk.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Bake for 12 to 15 minutes, or until golden brown. Remove from oven, and brush again with melted butter.