Tuesday, January 27, 2009

$5 Dinner challenge




I have posted this recipe before, but wanted to post again for the $5 dinner challenge at http://www.5dollardinners.com/. The prices are approximate.

Vegetable Beef Soup
1 lb. gr. beef ($1.59)
1 lb bag of mixed frozen veggies with tomatoes ($1.50)
1 med. onion diced ($ .25)
1 can tomato paste ($ .50)
Beef stock- optional (I made my own beef stock from beef bones and then froze in ice cube trays, so I add about 3-4 cubes) (free, only because the beef bones were given to us by a friend)
Salt & pepper to taste (a few cents)
water (free)

In large stock pot brown ground beef with onion. Add tomato paste and water (I use 5-6 cans of water- from the tomato paste can)
Bring to a boil and add veggies. Cook until at least warm through, or you can leave it on low heat for several hours.

Approximately $3.84

No comments:

Post a Comment